Get our newsletters

HISTORY LIVES: Samuel and Rebecca Histand House

Posted

Samuel and Rebecca Histand House. The house at 86 N. Clinton St. in Doylestown was built in the early 1870s for Samuel and Rebecca Histand. Made of brick, it was two stories in the Colonial revival style of architecture with a high stone foundation, balanced façade and full front porch. By 1891, the barn had been added to the rear of the property.

Samuel Spare purchased the house in 1925 and lived there for the next 42 years. In the 1960s, Spare was likely the last borough resident to board a horse on his property in Doylestown. (The registered show horse also enjoyed a small, fenced pasture between the barn and the neighbor’s garage.)

In 1968, the house became a rental residence and office for orthodontist John Gilhorn, who constructed an addition to the rear of the building. Dr. Gilhorn practiced orthodontics here for more than 45 years, eventually retiring and selling the property to the current owners. This new family has done extensive remodeling and renovation to modernize and convert the house back into a residence.

One of four borough homes decorated for the “Christmas in Doylestown House Tour,” 86 N. Clinton Ave. is the residence Mr. & Mrs. S. Claus use for the holiday season.

Sponsored by St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, the tour and tea will be held Friday from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. and Saturday from noon to 3 p.m. Tickets are available at https://weblink.donorperfect.com/CID2023 or at the St. Paul’s Episcopal Church office.

Doylestownhistorical.org


X