Get our newsletters
History Lives

HISTORY LIVES: Flat Iron Building

Flat Iron Building. The triangle of land bordered by West State and West Court streets forms one of the “Five Points” in downtown Doylestown. Today it features the Flat Iron Building, but this …

HISTORY LIVES: 1950 Federal Census

United States census records have been taken every 10 years since 1790 to provide a snapshot of the nation’s population as well as to apportion seats in the House of …

HISTORY LIVES: Demisemiseptcentennial (175th) Celebration

Demisemiseptcentennial (175th) Celebration. In the early 1840s Doylestown was a small community with only approximately 950 residents. Elizabeth Pawling Ross (1806-1882), wife of lawyer Thomas Ross, …

HISTORY LIVES: Bucks County SPCA

Bucks County SPCA. Since its inception, the Bucks County SPCA has rescued and re-homed animals in need, from Bristol to Springfield and everywhere in between. In 1912, the Bucks County SPCA was …

HISTORY LIVES: Tops of Town

A poster was designed in 2012 highlighting some of Doylestown’s most-recognized buildings. The creators saw a unique and beautiful world that’s different from the daily perspective …

HISTORY LIVES: Nathan James Homestead becomes the YMCA

A Revolutionary War veteran, Nathan James built his stone house in 1807 on his wife’s family’s land. His son, John D. James, succeeded his father in …

HISTORY LIVES: Ringing Rocks

Ringing Rocks County Park is located about two miles west of Upper Black Eddy. Originally, the land was acquired by the Penn family from the Lenape (Delaware Nation) through the …

HISTORY LIVES: Blizzard of 1888

Starting as rain on Sunday night, March 11, 1888, the storm changed to heavy snow as Doyestown slept. By morning the East Coast from the Chesapeake Bay to Maine was blanketed with …

HISTORY LIVES: Elizabeth Lawrence / Women’s History Month

Elizabeth Chapman Lawrence (1829-1905), was born in Doylestown, the daughter of Judge Henry Chapman. She attended one of the city’s female academies, …

HISTORY LIVES: Miss Munsey / International Women’s Day

In 1915, Doylestown’s VIA (Village Improvement Association) determined that the health care needs of the community could be met by a visiting nurse who …

HISTORY LIVES: N. Jean Toomer

N. Jean Toomer (1894-1967) / Black History Month. N. Jean Toomer was an acclaimed poet and novelist, an African American whose work is commonly associated with the Harlem Renaissance and modernism. …

HISTORY LIVES: Gladys Nickleby Nelson

Gladys Nickleby Nelson (1921-2003) earned degrees from Mercy Douglass School of Nursing (now part of the University of Pennsylvania), West Chester University, and Trenton State College.

Darlington Flowers

The greenhouses and flower shop of Darlington Flowers were located at 262-268 Maple Ave in Doylestown. Owned and operated by three generations of Doylestown florists, the business …

History Lives: James Michener

February 3, 2023, will be the 116th anniversary of James Michener’s birth. He had what was undoubtedly a hardscrabble childhood and yet had fond memories of his hometown.

The Union Horse Company of Doylestown Township and Vicinity

The Union Horse Company was founded circa 1835 at the Turk’s Head Hotel “for detecting and apprehending horse thieves and other …

Budco Theaters

The founder of Budco Theaters was Claude “Buddy” Schlanger (1924-1987).

History Lives: Doylestown Bypass

In the postwar era between 1950 and 1960, the population of Bucks County more than doubled. While lower Bucks experienced the largest growth, Doylestown also saw a steady increase …

History Lives: Palace of Sweets

The Palace of Sweets was located in the northeast corner of Lenape Hall, in the center of Doylestown. The store featured homemade candies “made carefully in our own kitchen” …

A chicken farm dubbed “Hentown” in its former life, Peddler’s Village was founded in 1962 by Earl Jamison, who transformed the rundown barn and chicken coops into a charming countryside …

The village of Lahaska was born when the Buckingham Friends Meeting House was established by English Quakers in 1701. Over time, the town grew to include 15 houses, a store, a hotel, a coach factory, …

« Prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next »
Currently viewing stories posted within the past 2 years.
For all older stories, please use our advanced search.

X