Get our newsletters
History Lives

The Christmas Decoration Contest

[Photo gallery]

In 1960, the Doylestown Panorama magazine sponsored a house decorating contest. “Lots of local folks will be decorating their homes with Christmas decorations and displays and the home that has …

Award was given to Louis H. Spellier for his invention of the sparkless circuit breaker

[Photo gallery]

The Elliott Cresson Gold Medal, established in 1848, was the highest honor bestowed by Philadelphia’s Franklin Institute. The endowed award was to be presented “for some discovery in the …

Thanksgiving at Ed’s Diner in Doylestown

[Photo gallery]

At Ed’s Diner in Doylestown, good food was available at reasonable prices 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and especially on Thanksgiving. (The diner closed only once a year, on Christmas …

Crazy Tom and Castle Valley

[Photo gallery]

In the first half of the 1700s, Thomas Meredith Jr. lived on his father’s land, which included a steep hill along the Neshaminy Creek in an area known then as Barton’s Ford.

Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

[Photo gallery]

On March 4, 1921, the U.S. Congress approved the burial of an unknown soldier in the plaza of the new Memorial Amphitheatre at Arlington Cemetery. On Armistice Day, November 11, 1921, 100 years ago, …

Doylestown Motel

[Photo gallery]

In the early 1930s a hardware store stood on the southwest corner of South Main Street and Oakland Avenue. The hardware store, at 42 S. Main St., was eventually demolished and by 1956 the Flying-A …

Trick or Treat

[Photo gallery]

This is the decoration on the Halloween Trick or Treat bags provided in October 1969 by the Daily Intelligencer. The newspaper advertised that “over 6,000 bags will be distributed free to …

Baseball’s Bobby Shantz

[Photo gallery]

Robert Clayton Shantz, a Pottstown native, signed up as a pitcher with Connie Mack’s Philadelphia Athletics in 1949. He made the American League All-Star team in 1951 then had his career year …

Doylestown has its share of scary stories

[Photo gallery]

Scary, creepy stories abound at this time of year, and Doylestown has its share. A student hanged himself in the 1890s in a dormitory at Delaware Valley University, when it was the National Farm …

North Main Street Garage

[Photo gallery]

In 1930 Irvin Kohl had his photograph taken in front of the North Main Street Garage and Gulf Station, which he owned, at 366 N. Main St. in Doylestown. The average cost of a new car that year was …

The Ground Observer Corps

[Photo gallery]

During World War II, 1.5 million civilian volunteers were enrolled by the Army Air Forces to man 14,000 observation posts positioned along the nation’s coasts. With limited radar detection …

Linden & Doyle Schools

[Photo gallery]

All the children of Doylestown for many years attended the Doylestown Borough School at the corner of East Court and Broad streets. But as the elementary population grew, additional classrooms and …

Pine Run Creek

[Photo gallery]

The stream known as Pine Run is a tributary of the Neshaminy Creek, part of the Delaware River Watershed. The Pine Run rises from a pond near Landisville in Plumstead Township, passing through …

Doylestown Chautauqua

[Photo gallery]

Chautauqua was an adult education and social movement in the United States which began in 1874 at Lake Chautauqua, N.Y, as an annual summer meeting for the training of Sunday school teachers.

H.J. Noll and fly tying

[Photo gallery]

“The Art of Fly Tying” was conceived by Doylestown’s H.J. Noll (ca.1906-1982) and written by well-known author of fishing books, Charles M. Wetzel.

National Air Mail Week

[Photo gallery]

On Friday, May 20, 1938, the Intelligencer reported, “Doylestown’s first outgoing air mail taken away by plane left the county seat Thursday afternoon, May 19, at 1:57 p.m. as four U.S. …

Frankenfield & Mill, Buick Dealer

[Photo gallery]

The Buick car dealership of Frankenfield & Mill, located at 263 N. Main St. in Doylestown, was founded in 1948 by George T. Frankenfield (1923-2015) and Lloyd H. Mill (1905-1994). Near the corner …

Clymer’s Department Store

[Photo gallery]

Robert Clymer (1872–1949) was raised in the Ottsville area and received his only formal education between the ages of 11 and 15, after which he began working in his uncle’s general store …

Blueberry Hill

[Photo gallery]

The land at the northeast corner of Bristol and Easton roads was part of William Penn’s land grant from King Charles II of England. In 1684 it was deeded to its first owner, John Gray. By the …

The Vogue Shoppe for June Weddings

[Photo gallery]

Owned by Frank Schultz (1908-1984), the Vogue Shoppe occupied stores in both Doylestown and Perkasie in the 1950s and 1960s.

« Prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next »
Currently viewing stories posted within the past 2 years.
For all older stories, please use our advanced search.

X